2023 NOMINEE – COACHING
Donora High School
California University of Pennsylvania
- Served as the girls’ soccer head coach at Ringgold and Charleroi High Schools, compiling a career record of 206-79-21 for a .708 winning percentage.
- At Ringgold, Rue became the school’s first 100-win soccer coach with a 137-56-16 cumulative record (.694).
- He guided the Rams to six WPIAL playoff appearances with section championships in 1990, 1991, and a trip to the 1994 PIAA semifinals.
- In five seasons at Charleroi, Rue compiled a 69-2-5 (.717) cumulative record, including a 47-9-4 record and 33-6-1 over his final three seasons which all concluded with playoff appearances.
- Under Rue, Charleroi won two section titles in 214 and 2015 following a runner-up showing in 2013.
- Charleroi won a WPIAL post-season game in 2014 and three more in 2015, when the Cougars eventually lost 1-0 to Greensburg Central Catholic in the WPIAL championship team. That team also went 1-1 in the PIAA playoffs.
- He averaged nearly 13 wins a season in 16 years as a high school head coach and never had a losing season.
- Rue also coached the Waynesburg University women’s team for six years (2—4-2009), after serving as an assistant men’s coach at Washington & Jefferson College for four seasons (1999-2002).
- He was a longtime coach with the Washington-based Victory Express Soccer Club and involved with the Charleroi, Fallowfield and Dunlevy (CFD) youth soccer recreation program.
- Rue served as a girl’s head coach with Victory Express from 1995-2001 and a second stint starting in 2010 along with being on the PA West Olympic Development Program and coaching the Donora girl’s travel team from 1982-83.
- His many awards include Washington County Soccer Coach of the Year (1990), PIAA West Soccer Association Coach of the Year (1991), the Advertiser/Almanac Coach of the Year (1994), and the Tri-County Athletic Director Association’s “Roy Gillespie Special Award.”
- A previous certified PIAA soccer official and retired public school speech pathologist, Rue belongs to several organizations, including the National Soccer Coaches Association of America and the Pennsylvania State Education Association.